information for global expats

Tax Treaty Considerations for Expats in Canada

Submitted: October 2014

Tax treaties exist to protect taxpayers from being taxed twice on certain money flows between two countries. Treaties are particularly important if you have investments outside Canada, and intend bring money earned from them into Canada during your stay. They also apply if you build up some investments in Canada during your stay, and intend to leave them there after you have left Canada. Canada has a network of tax treaties in force with over 90 countries worldwide.

Most tax treaties will conform to the OECD Model Treaty and will typically state how the various forms of income are taxed; whether the specific income is only taxed in Canada, only taxed in your home country, or taxed in both countries. It may also state what rate of tax is applicable in different cases. The treaty will also contain a definition of residence only for the purposes of the treaty; this is not the same as the definition of tax-residence in tax law. This definition of residence is known as the treaty tie-breaker. The agreements laid out in the treaty override the domestic laws in both signatory countries. The types of income covered by a treaty may include:

  • property income
  • business profits
  • dividends
  • interest
  • royalties
  • capital gains
  • employment income
  • directors’ fees
  • income from sports and entertainment
  • state and private pensions, alimony and child support
  • money for the full-time education of students, and
  • income from teaching.

It is important to recognise that a tax treaty operates on money flows both into and out of the treaty countries.

The withholding tax rate in Canada on dividends sent to residents of a country without a tax treaty is 25%. Where lower rates have been negotiated by treaty, they are generally reduced to 15%. Some treaties with lower rates include a further rate reduction to 10% or even 5%, which applies if the dividend is paid to a foreign company which owns a significant percentage (usually 10% or 25%) of the shares (or sometimes the voting rights) of the paying company.

The withholding tax rate in Canada on interest sent to a country without a tax treaty is 25%. Where lower rates have been negotiated by treaty, they are generally reduced to 15%. Certain interest payments are exempt from withholding tax. These include bank interest on foreign currency deposits, and, under certain circumstances, interest paid on mortgage debt related to overseas properties.

The withholding tax rate in Canada on most royalty payments sent to a country without a tax treaty is 25%. Where lower rates have been negotiated by treaty, they are generally reduced to 10%. Copyright royalties many forms of artistic work are exempt from royalty withholding tax.

Canada’s tax treaties with other countries generally restrict the amount of withholding tax those countries can charge Canadian residents to 15% on dividends, 10% or 15% on interest and 10% on royalties. For the complete rules and applicable rates, it is necessary to read the treaty itself. A link to each Canada treaty in force can be found here. The sections dealing with dividends, interest and royalties can usually be found half way through the treaty document.

Before arriving in Canada you may be able to arrange your existing investments to gain maximum advantage from the terms of any treaty. This may involve moving investments from one non-Canadian country to one with a more favourable tax treaty, or even to Canada itself, to reduce the tax rate paid.

If your home country generally has a higher rate of tax than Canada’s, you may benefit by becoming tax-resident in Canada as early as possible. At the end of your stay in Canada you can also rearrange your affairs to ensure that any ongoing income from Canadian employment or investments is also taxed at the lowest rate possible in the future.




We value input from our readers. If you spot an error on this page or have any suggestions, please let us know.


Moving to Canada

If you are considering moving to Canada or are soon to depart, you can find helpful information and advice in the Expat Briefing dedicated Canadian section including; details of immigration and visas, Canadian forums, Canadian event listings and service providers in Canada.

picture1 Read More

Living in Canada

From your safety to shoppingliving in Canada can yield great benefits as well as occasional drawbacks.  Find your feet and stay abreast of the latest developments affecting expats in Canada with relevant news and up-to-date information.

picture1 Read More

Working in Canada

Working in Canada can be rewarding as well as stressful, if you don't plan ahead and fulfill any legal requirements. Find out about visas and passports, owning and operating a company in Canada, and general Canadian culture of the labour market.

picture1 Read More



About | Useful Links | Global Media Partners | Media | Advertising And Sales | Banners And Widgets | Glossary | RSS | Privacy & Cookies | Terms And Conditions | Editorial Policy | Refer To A Friend | Newsletters | Contact | Site Map

Important Notice: Wolters Kluwer TAA Limited has taken reasonable care in sourcing and presenting the information contained on this site, but accepts no responsibility for any financial or other loss or damage that may result from its use. In particular, users of the site are advised to take appropriate professional advice before committing themselves to involvement in offshore jurisdictions, offshore trusts or offshore investments. © Wolters Kluwer TAA Ltd 2017. All rights reserved.

The Expat Briefing brand is owned and operated by Wolters Kluwer TAA Limited.