Home » China » Healthcare » Health Insurance for Expats in China

Health Insurance for Expats in China

Submitted: August 2013

Expats in China should have health insurance when they can afford it. In most cases, an international insurance policy is the most relevant option.

It is advisable to get your insurance arrangements in order prior to entering China.

International cover

You should check the geographical coverage of your existing foreign insurance policy, if you have any. If you haven’t been sold this policy as an international insurance cover specifically designed for expats, your policy is unlikely to work in China. In that case, you should let your insurer know that you are moving to China, and switch to an international cover. Your insurer is likely to charge you extra for this, but do bear in mind that the very fact of being insured in several countries carries an extra burden as well.

A good international cover would insure you against:

If you need insurance in China, you can take out a policy from a Chinese provider if you feel confident enough to do so. Otherwise, you should have an international health cover from an insurance provider based in your home country.

Qualifying establishments

Do check if the hospital or clinic you are attending is not excluded by your insurance policy.

If possible, go to a hospital which is happy to apply for payment directly from your insurance provider. This spares you the need to pay upfront and to make a claim for yourself. In any case, you should check this in advance.

Typically, private hospitals with international staff are happy to collect your insurance details without asking you to pay upfront, even if your provider is foreign. This is much less likely if you attend a public hospital with a foreign insurance policy. See Doctors and Hospitals for Expats in China.

Employment in China and health insurance

If you are an employee in China, your employer is required by law to:

Employees are also required to contribute towards health insurance, and contribution rates are set by law. These rates are part of the Chinese social security system and may vary from one location to another.

If you are unhappy with the coverage of your basic compulsory health insurance, you might wish to take out an additional policy in the private sector.



Moving to China

If you are considering moving to China or are soon to depart, you can find helpful information and advice in the Expat Briefing dedicated Chinese section including; details of immigration and visas, Chinese forums, Chinese event listings and service providers in China.


Living in China

From your safety to shoppingliving in China can yield great benefits as well as occasional drawbacks.  Find your feet and stay abreast of the latest developments affecting expats in China with relevant news and up-to-date information.


Working in China

Working in China can be rewarding as well as stressful, if you don't plan ahead and fulfill any legal requirements. Find out about visas and passports, owning and operating a company in China, and general Chinese culture of the labour market.



Chinese Expat News Headlines

Chinese Expat Service Providers

HTLC Network Group Expatriate Healthcare 1st Move International Integra Global Health Insurance Expat Financial

Chinese Expat Tools