information for global expats

Employment Taxation for Expats in Saudi Arabia

Submitted: July 2014

Saudi Arabia does not impose tax on earnings from employment, so whether an expat is resident or non-resident in the country is not relevant. The only thing that residence may affect is an expat's treatment under tax treaties.

If you are a self-employed professional such as a lawyer or doctor in Saudi Arabia you will be taxed on your income (after allowable costs) at varying rates, according to your level of net income, as is shown in the table below.

Income SARRate
Up to 6,0000.0%
From 6,001 to 10,0005.0%
From 10,001 to 20,00010.0%
From 20,001 to 30,00020.0%
Over 30,00030.0%

In order to work in Saudi Arabia, it is necessary to obtain a work visa. This requires a sponsor in Saudi Arabia (usually your employer), who will apply for the work visa on your behalf. Your employer will then send your contract of employment, and a work visa authorisation number, which proves to the Saudi Embassy in your home country that an application for a visa has been made. You then need to deal with the Embassy. This is a complex process and will require you to provide:

  • a medical test report no more than three months old, including tests for HIV, Syphilis, Hepatitis, and also covering blood counts and urine sample, together with a chest x-ray.
  • a passport covering the entire duration of your intended stay, with at least two blank pages that face each other
  • six colour passport photos, you will need more than this for various purposes once you are in Saudi Arabia, so it is probably best to get another dozen copies. If they all match, it prevents any possible confusion.
  • a signed employment contract (signed by you), and
  • a police clearance document.

Once you are in Saudi Arabia, you can apply for an Iqama which is a residency permit.

You should be aware that:

  • you cannot leave Saudi Arabia (even for a short break) without an exit visa
  • there are heavy fines for overstaying your visa, and
  • that it is the expiry date on your visa that matters, not the date on your Iqama.

There are other forms of visa such as a business visa, which are simpler to obtain for short visits to the country, and which can also cover multiple entries.



We value input from our readers. If you spot an error on this page or have any suggestions, please let us know.


Moving to Saudi Arabia

If you are considering moving to Saudi Arabia or are soon to depart, you can find helpful information and advice in the Expat Briefing dedicated Saudi Arabia section including; details of immigration and visas, Saudi Arabian forums, Saudi Arabian event listings and service providers in Saudi Arabia.

picture1 Read More

Living in Saudi Arabia

From your safety to shoppingliving in Saudi Arabia can yield great benefits as well as occasional drawbacks.  Find your feet and stay abreast of the latest developments affecting expats in Saudi Arabia with relevant news and up-to-date information.

picture1 Read More

Working in Saudi Arabia

Working in Saudi Arabia can be rewarding as well as stressful, if you don't plan ahead and fulfill any legal requirements. Find out about visas and passports, owning and operating a company in Saudi Arabia, and general Saudi Arabian culture of the labour market.

picture1 Read More



About | Useful Links | Global Media Partners | Media | Advertising And Sales | Banners And Widgets | Glossary | RSS | Privacy & Cookies | Terms And Conditions | Editorial Policy | Refer To A Friend | Newsletters | Contact | Site Map

Important Notice: Wolters Kluwer TAA Limited has taken reasonable care in sourcing and presenting the information contained on this site, but accepts no responsibility for any financial or other loss or damage that may result from its use. In particular, users of the site are advised to take appropriate professional advice before committing themselves to involvement in offshore jurisdictions, offshore trusts or offshore investments. © Wolters Kluwer TAA Ltd 2017. All rights reserved.

The Expat Briefing brand is owned and operated by Wolters Kluwer TAA Limited.