Home » Thailand » Taxation » Employment Taxation for Expats in Thailand

Employment Taxation for Expats in Thailand

Submitted: August 2014


You will be considered habitually resident once you have stayed Thailand for more than 180 days in a calendar year. As a resident you will be taxable on your worldwide income and gains. If you remain non-resident you will only be taxed on your Thai-sourced income. The wording of double tax treaties can also effect whether you are treated as a resident or not. You must apply for a tax identification number (TIN) within 60 days of becoming employed in Thailand. The relevant application form for an individual is Form L.P.10.1 which must be lodged at the local area office the Thai Revenue Department.  


Tax rates and allowances

The tax year runs from 1 January to 31 December. Your employer will withhold tax from your wages or salary. You must supply them with your TIN. They will also deduct your social security contributions. How much tax you pay is the same whether you are considered resident or non-resident; both are taxed at the progressive rates shown in the table below. Certain expat employees who are working for a regional headquarters are taxed at a flat rate of 15%, this flat rate generally applies to up to four years of employment.

There are eight different categories of assessable income:

Taxable income is calculated after the deductible expenses and personal allowances. Deductible expenses vary according to the category of income; for standard employment income there is a standard deduction of 40% up to a maximum of THB60,000. The personal allowance for a single person is THB30,000. Once these deductions and expenses have been subtracted, the resulting taxable income is subject to progressive tax rates as shown in the table below.

Taxable Income THBRate
1 to 150,0000%
From 150,001 to 300,0005%
From 300,001 to 500,00010%
From 500,001 to 750,00015%
From 750,001 to 1m20%
From 1m to 2m25%
From 2m to 4m30%
Over 4m35%

You will also have to pay social security contributions, but these are small by European standards. You will be required to submit an annual tax return (PND90 or 91) regarding your total income to the tax office by 31 March of the following financial year. For married residents and non-residents, joint or separate filing is now possible with regard to all forms of income.



Sole proprietorship is not an option for the majority of expats. The only expats who are allowed to operate a sole proprietorship are those covered by the Treaty of Amity and Economic Relations Between the Kingdom of Thailand and the United States of America. There are details regarding this treaty here.



Moving to Thailand

If you are considering moving to Thailand or are soon to depart, you can find helpful information and advice in the Expat Briefing dedicated Thailand section including; details of immigration and visas, Thai forums, Thai event listings and service providers in Thailand.


Living in Thailand

From your safety to shoppingliving in Thailand can yield great benefits as well as occasional drawbacks.  Find your feet and stay abreast of the latest developments affecting expats in Thailand with relevant news and up-to-date information.


Working in Thailand

Working in Thailand can be rewarding as well as stressful, if you don't plan ahead and fulfill any legal requirements. Find out about visas and passports, owning and operating a company in Thailand, and general Thai culture of the labour market.



Thai Expat News Headlines

Thai Expat Service Providers

Mieu Phan Coaching Expat Financial 1st Move International Integra Global Expatriate Healthcare

Thai Expat Tools